3 Summer Drink Recipes
Ahh summer... the season of sunscreen, picnics, and parties! Now what’s the best way to splash up your summer barbecue vibes? With fresh cocktails of course. Here’s a list of some of our favourite hot-weather drinks that will be sure to cool you down during even the sunniest of days.
1. Lime Mojitos
Serves 3-4 people
Ingredients10-15 large mint leaves
½ cup of sugar (you can add more sugar, depending on your sweetness preference)
¾ cup of fresh lime juice (7-8 limes)
1 24 oz. bottle of Perrier or sparkling water
White sugar for rim (optional)
4 oz. of white rum (optional)
- Pull the mint leaves from the stem, place in the palm of your hand, and give them a slap to release their flavor and aroma. Place the mint leaves in a shaker tin or heavy bottom glass with the sugar and add half the lime juice and a splash of water. Using a muddler or spoon, muddle the mint leaves and sugar until most of the sugar is dissolved, and there is a strong smell of mint.
- Transfer the mixture into a carafe or plastic pitcher, and add the rest of the lime juice. Give it a stir.
- Just before serving, add 4oz of white rum, and the rest of the Perrier or sparkling water.
- Rim the glasses with sugar, garnish with thin slices of juicy lime and mint leaves. Enjoy!
2. Lavender Iced Tea
Serves 8 People
8 and ¼ cups of hot, boiling water
5-6 Earl Grey tea bags
¼ cup of sugar
Lavender and mint leaves for garnishing
1 teaspoon of dried lavender flowers
*Note: you can use 7 lavender Earl Grey tea bags as a substitute
- In a heatproof measuring cup, add the Earl Grey tea bags to 8 cups of boiling water and dried lavender bits. Wait 10 minutes for the water and tea to mix, then strain and let cool.
- In a large bowl or pitcher, add the remaining ¼ cup of boiling water with sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Next, add the sugar mixture to the tea and let cool. Lastly, pour tea into tall glasses, garnish with lavender and mint leaves, and enjoy!
3. Double Berry Spritzer
Serves 4 drinks
Ingredients2 freshly squeezed limes (Approx. 4 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons of simple syrup (½ water, ½ sugar, boiled)
½ cup of raspberries
½ cup of blueberries
½ litre of chilled, Club Soda or sparkling water
Rosemary or mint leaves for garnishing
½ cup of Vodka (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together, except for the Club Soda/sparkling water into a large pitcher. Crush the berries along the sides Slowly add in Club Soda/sparkling water and stir.
- Using a strainer, pour the liquid into ice-filled glasses. Garnish with blueberries, raspberries, mint or rosemary, and voila! You’re done!
What’s your favourite summer drink? Comment below or check back every Monday for more exclusive Hutch drink recipes.