Fall or Autumn, whatever you call it, it’s here. The leaves are turning red and falling, the days are shorter, and the smell of pumpkin spice lattes wafts through the air. The change of the seasons is something to be celebrated, so invite your friends and family over for an amazing dinner. This recipe is a fall twist on a classic!
This delicious pasta is a fall twist on a classic, with pumpkin and sausage.
What You’ll Need:
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Pound of Italian Sausage
4 Cloves of Garlic, cracked and chopped
1 Medium-sized Onion, finely chopped
1 Bay Leaf
4-6 Sprigs of Sage Leaves
1 Cup of Dry White Wine
1 Cup of Chicken Stock
1 Cup of Canned Pumpkin
½ Cup of Heavy Cream
⅛ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
Coarse salt & black pepper
1 Pound of Penne, al dente
Romano or Parmesan for grating
Pumpernickel or Whole Wheat Bread
Large, deep nonstick skillet
- Over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the nonstick pan and begin browning the sausage. Remove sausage, drain the fat from the pan, and place on the stove again.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil, then the garlic and onion. Saute until onions are tender.
- Add bay leaf, sage and wine to the pan. Reduce the wine for about two minutes, then add the stock and pumpkin and stir until bubbling. Add sausage, reduce heat, and stir the heavy cream in.
- Season the sauce with cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Put your drained pasta back into the pot used to cook it. Remove the bay leaf from your sauce, and pour it over the pasta. Combine and toss over low heat for a minute. Garnish with sage leaves and cheese!
- Serve with bread on the side!
This entire recipe takes about 30 minutes to do, and is a delicious fall twist on pasta. Make it for a quick dinner at home or if you’re serving guests!